A while back I noticed the service from Virgin Media was getting worse. Throughout lockdown it had been reasonably reliable, just a couple of outages. Nothing major.

Later I noticed BT Openreach were installing fibre in our area, and decided this might be a better approach, allowing me to have proper static IP addresses rather than the semi-permanent address you get from VM.

To assist with this, I bought a load balancing router, in an attempt to guarantee uptime…..
That was roughly when the issues started. Catchup tv, then the TV Guide dissapeared.

Numerous restarts, frustration and changing from wired to wireless I eventually noticed the service vodconfig.dtv.virginmedia.com wasn’t resolving. Quick addition of google nameservers to the open DNS ones I was using, and hey presto, problem solved.